“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” (1 John 3:18)
Jesus called his disciples to service in the world by meeting people’s physical needs and sharing the love of God. At Thorndale, we are a community committed to loving and serving our neighbors both locally and abroad. We offer a variety of on-going service activities, mission trips, and special projects throughout the year.
Numerous service opportunities exist in the church from greeters and usher to working in the kitchen and leading small groups of children and youth. All members are invited to serve the church community in a position that fits their personal gifts and passion. We also have ongoing partnerships with the following community organizations and programs where members can serve:
- Caln Elementary School – the church congregation provides monthly support of the school’ s children who are in need of various items such as clothes, books, snacks, etc.
- Atkinson Shelter – small groups in the church are invited to prepare and serve dinner for the men at this Coatesville shelter on the fourth or fifth Friday of the month.
- Chester County Food Bank Community Garden – the church grows four garden beds that provide fresh produce for the Chester County Food Bank to distribute to families facing hunger in Chester County. During the spring through fall, volunteers are needed to plant, water, weed, and harvest the garden beds.
- Lay Pastoral Care Team – this team visits persons who are homebound, in nursing homes or are simply in need of company. Each volunteer is given a friend to visit on a monthly basis based on the wishes of the individual. Communion is also available.
- Helping Hands – this team provides meals for families in need during a time of crisis. Volunteers prepare meals and visit the families in need to make deliveries.
- Community Servant Helpers – when the need arises this team assists community members with varied tasks from transportation to doctor’s appointments to helping with moving, yard word, or other light jobs.
- Puerto Rico – small groups in the church go to Puerto Rico to help with rebuilding after severe hurricanes.
For twenty years, the Thorndale missions’ team has been blessed to both serve and share God’s love in areas across the country. We have served in areas from central Appalachia to Maine. Most recently we served in the Gulf Coast, Cedar Rapids Iowa, and even overseas to Malawi, Africa. Specific trips and opportunities will be posted as they arise. Also, there are opportunities for fundraising and training based on the particular needs and financial commitments of the trip. Youth (grades 6-12) can participate in local mission week each summer, where they spend a week serving local organizations in a variety of capacities.
Special Mission Projects
Throughout the year, the church participates in a variety of service projects and collections to help with current needs in our community and abroad. Past projects have included collecting supplies for Hurricane Sandy relief, Christmas gifts, food drives, Thanksgiving meals and more. Check the events page for updates on current initiatives.
To become involved in any one of these mission opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.